Modern Manners The Essential Guide to Correct Behaviour and Etiquette
For many years Philip Howard has delighted Times readers with his wildly popular ‘Modern Times’ column, answering questions on contemporary etiquette and acting as confidant and gleeful guide to those attempting to avoid the pitfalls and perils of modern life.
Now, drawing on that wealth of wisdom, he offers solutions to modern-day mysteries and solves all manner of social dilemmas. From sartorial suggestions to gastronomic guidance, and with tips on how best to deal with noisy neighbours, irritating in-laws and pesky pets, Philip Howard will prevent you from ever putting a foot wrong.
Witty, informative and often hilarious, and with delightful cartoons by Jonathan Pugh, Modern Manners is the perfect companion piece to life in the twenty-first century, and the quintessential gift book.
- How do you get rid of unwanted guests without causing offence?
- What should a Scotsman wear under his kilt?
- Is it acceptable to blow one’s nose in public?
- Should you tell someone if you notice that their flies are open?
- What is ‘tugging the forelock’ and does anyone still do it?
- It goes without saying that thou shalt not shoot thy neighbour’s cat, but is his fat squirrel fair game?
Share this book
Buy this book
- ISBN: 9781849546768
- 14 November 2013